The Construction Climate Challenge and Volvo Group Connected Solutions present
CCC x Hack Sprint 2019 // Decarbonizing Construction
The CCC x Hack Sprint 2019 // Decarbonizing Construction challenge is a Hack Sprint by Volvo Group Connected Solutions acting through Volvo Group North America, LLC., a Delaware limited liability company, with a place of business in California at 335 E. Middlefield Road, Mountain View California (“Volvo”) – bringing together carefully selected dream teams to hack real world solutions for real world challenges with real world impact.
Each team will work towards innovating and simplifying CO2 impact assessment for the construction industry – building an innovative digital tool (“Problem”).
By applying to participate in the Challenge, you agree to the following terms and conditions (“Terms”).
The Challenge is only open to teams of 3-5 individuals (each a “Team”) who are (a) physically & legally present in the United States, and (b) at least 21 years of age. A person is not eligible to participate on a Team if he/she is (i) an employee of or a member of the immediate family or household of anyone who is an officer, director, or employee of Volvo or any of its affiliates or subsidiaries, or (ii) directly involved in the creation or administration of the Challenge, or a citizen of any country to which the United States government would prohibit awarding a prize.
The Construction Climate Challenge and Volvo Group Connected Solutions provide the hackathon challenge to solve the Problem during an event to be held on December 7-8, 2019 at Hub335 in Mountain View (the “Challenge”). Submissions are due by the end of the Challenge. Late submissions will not be accepted or considered for judging. The method and instructions for submitting a Solution will be given to teams on-site at the Challenge.
The goal of the Challenge is for Teams comprising engineers, developers, and/or designers with a passion for climate change and hacking to propose solutions to the Problem.
Visit constructionclimatechallenge.com and follow the on-screen instructions to complete and submit an application (“Application”). Each Team member must accept these Terms as part of the application process. Completed Applications must be completed (with acceptance of these Terms by all Team members) and received by 11:59:59 p.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on November 17, 2019. Proof of transmission is not proof of receipt.
A maximum of 10 teams will be accepted to participate in the Challenge, each with 3-5 members (“Participants”). Each Participant can be on only one (1) Team. Teams will be selected to participate based on their complementary competencies and diversity. Volvo reserve the right to select fewer than 10 Teams if an insufficient number of applications are received that are of reasonable quality to merit participation in the Challenge.
Participants will work in their Teams to build and demo innovative solutions that help solve the Problem (the “Solutions”) during the Challenge.
Participation in the Challenge is fully voluntary and free of charge. However, each Team selected to participate must get itself to the Challenge venue. Volvo will provide meals and beverages for Participants during the Challenge. Participation is subject to all instructions and requirements provided to Participants on-site at the Challenge. Failure to comply with these Terms and Conditions or any on-site instructions/requirements may result in disqualification from the Challenge and/or removal from the Challenge venue.
Volvo has the right to cancel or modify the Challenge if Volvo believes, in its sole discretion, that malfunction, error, disruption, or damage is impairing or will impair the administration, security, fairness, or integrity of the Challenge, or if an insufficient number of qualified applications have been submitted.
The Solutions submitted during the Challenge will be evaluated by a panel of judges, which will choose the winning Solution(s). The judges will select one (1) winning Team based on the following criteria: technical innovation, creativity, usability, execution, and demo/pitch. Winner will be determined and announced on-site at the Challenge. A prize of $10,000 will be awarded to the Team and divided equally among the Participants on that Team. Judges reserve the right to award more than one (1) prize.
Any tax imposed due to any prize received in the Challenge shall be borne by the individual Participants based on their pro rata portion of the prize received. Social Security Number and/or other taxpayer information will be required from any Participant eligible for a prize, and an IRS Form 1099 (or other applicable documentation) will be issued to each Participant who receives/accepts any prize payment.
The judges’ decisions in the Challenge, are final and binding on all matters in the Challenge and cannot be appealed.
All rights to a Solution shall vest in the Participants that generated the Solution.
The Participants acknowledge that Volvo may have or may be developing or commissioning ideas similar or identical to a Solution submitted by the Participants. The Participants waive any claims they may have resulting from any similarities of such ideas to the Participants’ Solution.
In consideration of participation in the Challenge and the opportunity to receive any prize or award, each Participant, individually and on behalf of his/her startup company, hereby grants Volvo an irrevocable option to evaluate the Solution and either purchase or license the rights to the Solution on commercially reasonable terms. If the Solution constitutes a patentable invention, Volvo shall apply its guidelines for calculation of compensation to employees for patentable inventions (inventor’s fee) to determine the terms, and such terms shall be deemed commercially reasonable.
Until Volvo has decided not to use the Solution in one of its products, or three (3) months from the end of the Challenge, whichever is earlier, the Participant agrees, individually and on behalf of his/her startup company, to negotiate with Volvo in good faith to decide on the terms for licensing or transferring the rights to the Solution to Volvo. During such exclusivity period, the Participant and his/her startup Company may not present and/or offer the Solution to any other company in the vehicle or construction equipment industries.
During the exclusivity period, and twelve months from when it expires, the Participant and his/her startup company may not license or transfer the rights to the Solution to any company in the vehicle or construction equipment industries other than Volvo on terms that are more favourable than those offered to Volvo during the exclusivity period.
During the exclusivity period, the Participant may not disclose its own or any other Challenge Participant’s Solution, or any information not publicly available relating to any such Solution, to any party other than Volvo, unless Volvo has given its consent to such disclosure. Volvo may request each Participant to enter a separate non-disclosure agreement regarding his/her own contribution to any Solution, and the Participant shall be obligated to enter such non-disclosure agreement if necessary to secure Volvo’s material business interests, including but not limited to securing the possibility to obtain intellectual property rights protection for such Solution.
Each Participant is responsible for ensuring that all material and information (including without limitation source code, user interface, music, video and images) provided with a Solution are available without restrictions or are licensed as open source.
Each Participant also confirms that he/she has secured permission to use and transfer all material and information provided with a Solution, if a third party (e.g. the Participant’s employer) otherwise could claim the rights to such material and information.
Volvo reserves the right to amend, cancel and withdraw the prize(s) of any Teams and/or Participants where the intellectual property rights of third parties are alleged to be infringed.
– Volvo is not responsible for: (i) lost, late, misdirected, damaged, garbled or illegible entries; (ii) error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate transmission of or failure to receive entry information by Volvo on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any web site or any combination thereof; or (iii) any injury or damage to any applicant’s, Participant’s, or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from applying or participating in the Challenge.
– Any person suspected of violating these Terms, disrupting the Challenge, or otherwise acting in any unsportsmanlike manner may be disqualified.
– All dates, times and technical requirements are subject to change.
– No responsibility is assumed for circumstances beyond the control of Volvo which may disrupt, interfere with, or otherwise prevent the Challenge from being conducted as contemplated in these Terms
– By applying and/or participating in the Challenge, all team members on all teams agree to and accept these Terms and all decisions of the judges.
– By applying and/or participating in the Challenge, all team members release and discharge Volvo and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, employees, directors, and agents, from any and against any and all injury, loss or damage caused or claimed to be caused by applying or participating in the Challenge or the acceptance or use of any prize or award.
– Any information you submit in connection with the Challenge (a) will be used solely in connection with administering the challenge or as you otherwise agree, and (b) is subject to https://www.volvogroup.com/en-en/privacy.html.
– By taking part in the Challenge, each Participant agrees that Volvo, its affiliated companies, and those acting with their authorization shall have the right to use Participant’s name, photograph, likeness, biographical information, statements, and video capture of participation during the Challenge for publicity, marketing, and other purposes worldwide and in all forms of media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, without further compensation except where prohibited by law, Volvo may request the Participant to confirm this grant of publicity rights in a separate publicity release, and the Participant shall be obligated to enter such agreement if requested.
The Construction Climate Challenge (CCC) is an initiative hosted by Volvo Construction Equipment to promote sustainability throughout the entire construction industry value chain and provide funding for environmental research. The Construction Climate Challenge is a part of the Volvo CE commitment to WWF’s Climate Savers Program. Volvo Construction Equipment is a Corporate Advisory Board member of the World Green Building Council. For more information about the Construction Climate Challenge, please visit www.constructionclimatechallenge.com.
Volvo Group Connected Solutions is a global organization focused on creating the services of tomorrow. The organization works at the forefront of connectivity by collecting and analysing telematics data from more than 1 million connected Volvo assets. This way they can forecast the future and help customers succeed, while increasing the safety, quality and sustainability of Volvo Group products.